LitJSON is a small and fast library for handling data in the JSON format. It is written in C# and is compatible with all .Net languages.
This library and its documentation are dedicated to the public domain. It may be used by anyone, for any purpose, without restrictions.
All development of this library occurs now on GitHub. Feel free to fork the project, and submit issues / pull requests.
You may download a zip file built from the most recent sources at any given time here: litjson-master.
The API reference is being prepared. For now, it's recommended that you get familiar with the library by reading the Quick Start guide above, or if you feel like getting a deeper understanding of its internal details, feel free to explore the source code. This is a small library, so it shouldn't be too much effort, and you may find examples covering most of its functionality in the test suites.
Other versions of LitJSON's manual:
A new version! Hard to believe, I know, but it's true. Version 0.7.0 is out now, featuring a couple of important bug fixes, and some other subtle improvements.
You can find more details in the
LitJSON's home has moved2013-04-06
It's been a while since the last update, so I'd like to talk a little about this project's history, if that's okay. Feel free to skip this, if you want.
I created LitJSON around August, 2007. As I remember it, I had just recently learned C# (and was very enthusiastic about it), and was looking for a simple mechanism to store data for my programs. This led me to learning about JSON, a format that was not that popular at the time.
I eventually took the time to write this parser, and then released it publicly, hoping that maybe a few other people would find it somewhat useful. Apparently it did got some use, and I'm very pleased and grateful for having had the chance to contribute even in a very small way to the current landscape of JSON libraries for the .Net framework.
I had some vision of what I wanted to accomplish through software in the grand scheme of things, and LitJSON was just a small piece that in a way served as a starting point for me to get on the track I was aiming for. I had big plans, and was fully expecting to maintain this little piece of software for a long time.
But, as you may know, the only predictable thing about life is that it's unpredictable. Very soon afterwards (early 2008), my life went through some important changes, and my focus shifted to other things, not related to software. During all this time, I have received a number of e–mails and patches from people wanting to contribute to this library, and I thank them for that. However, I completely neglected my maintainer duties, and I simply stashed all those contributions away, hoping to get to them on a future opportunity.
Well, time goes by pretty quickly; it's 2013 now, and as it turns out, I never touched LitJSON again since late 2007. It's always been in my “to do” list to get back to it and at least give it some proper closure, but I just never did.
Anyway, I've been focusing on software again, and recently I got contacted by someone who wanted to ask for my permission to translate LitJSON's manual into spanish. That was as good as an opportunity as any for me to finally work on LitJSON again, so here I am. However, a number of things have changed drastically during all this time. As it happens to everyone, I have changed, and my interests, opinions and tastes have changed. In regards to software and technology, a lot of the things I was enthusiastic about in 2007 are not that exciting to me anymore. I don't mean to imply that I dislike some of the technologies used in LitJSON, but the reality is that if I were to work again on my original vision from all those years ago, I would do a lot of things differently, and that probably means I wouldn't work in something like LitJSON today.
Nevertheless, here I am, ready to bring back some life into this library. My current plan is to do a couple of things: complete the manual (I never published any docs for the API, which I think was a terrible decision on my part), and merging the patches I have collecting dust somewhere in my inbox.
For now, I've started by moving this project from SourceForge to GitHub. Thanks to SF for providing such high–quality service for all these years, and I don't mean only for my silly little library, but for all the Open–Source/Free Software projects they host. It will take some time to fully transition everything, so please bear with me if something doesn't work. Let's hope this doesn't take me another 6 years.
Thanks for stopping by…
Play from your heart.